18 September 2006

And For a Moment, Time Slowed

It is said that as one ages, time passes more quickly. In this way the child lives longer, and so those who remember childhood most clearly are the youngest among us. As we age, we forget the naiveté of childhood in exchange for the perception of the mundane. Life is usual, and when life is usual, there is nothing to strive for except the unusual. A thrill, a story for the water cooler, a line drawn through number 12 on the "to do before I die" list.

Last night I dreamed I was a child again, and I dreamed that I was a child dreaming of flying. When I woke it was yesterday, until the dream faded into Monday. But for the moment I forgot the passage of time, I stopped it. It was a long, beautiful summer. It was a long, quiet weekend. And I have been gone a long time.

4 Comments:

Blogger Hoban Family said...

Sometimes I feel like I relive my childhood through my children. Then I blink and they are a whole year older.....

9/18/2006  
Blogger Altered Egoist said...

When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse,
Out of the corner of my eye.
I turned to look but it was gone.
I cannot put my finger on it now.
The child is grown, the dream is gone.
I have become comfortably numb.

9/18/2006  
Blogger The Man said...

Some of my favorite people see the world for the first time, every time. Nothing "is" until it is made so. As for me, my plan of not offically growing up is working; however, I subject people to a lot of Uranus jokes.

9/18/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a totally lovely dream,

9/19/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Ha ha. Bzzz. Goodbye.